How to Zone a Brocade SAN Switch
Here are the basics to add a new device to a SAN fabric. I’m working with a Brocade Silkworm 4900. In this scenario, I replaced a server that connects to a tape library for backup.
HBA - Host Bus Adapter, which in this case, refers to the Fibre Channel Card. In LAN networking, it’s analogous to an Ethernet card.
WWN - World Wide Name, a unique 8-byte number identifying the HBA. In Ethernet networking, it’s analogous to the MAC address.
FC Zone - Fibre Channel Zone, a partitioned subset of the fabric. Members of a zone are allowed to communicate with each other, but devices are not allowed to communicate across zones. An FC Zone is loosely analogous to a VLAN.
Steps to Zone Brocade Switch
- Plug in the FC Connector into an open port on the switch.
- Login to the server and verify the HBA connection. It should see the switch but not the storage device.
- Login to the Brocade Switch GUI interface. You’ll need Java enabled on your browser.
- Check the Brocade Switch Port.
- On the visual depiction of the switch, click on the port where you plugged in the FC connector.
- The Port Administration Services screen should pop up. You’ll need to enable the pop-up.
- Verify that the Port Status is “Online”. Note the port number.
- Close the Port Administration Services screen.
- Find the WWN of your new device
- Navigate back to the original GUI page.
- Select Zone Admin, an icon on the bottom left of the screen. It looks like two squares and a rectangle.
- Expand the Ports & Attaching Devices under the Member Selection List.
- Expand the appropriate port number. Note the attached WWN.
- Create a new alias for this device
- Click New Alias button
- Follow menu instructions
- Add the appropriate WWN to the alias
- Select your new device name from the Name drop down menu
- Expand the WWNs under Member Selection List
- Highlight the appropriate WWN
- Select Add Member
- Add the alias to the appropriate zone
- Select the Zone tab
- Select the appropriate zone from the Name drop down menu
- Select the appropriate alias from the Member Selection List
- Click Add Member
- Ensure that the zone is in Zone Config in the Zone Config tab
- Save your changes by selecting ZoningActions -> Enable Config
- Login back in to the server to verify. It should now see the storage devices.